Re: EMAIL != FTP

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Sat May 26 02:28:42 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 11:22:15AM -0400, deeann mikula wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Sabri Berisha wrote:
> > > Second, an average user probably wouldn't have the skill.
> >
> > Then he/she should learn. I don't buy a car if I can't drive. I'm sorry
> > for comparing internetworking with driving a car but I feel that FTP'ing
> > is a basic skill if you want to use the internet in a professional way
>
> uh, when is the last time that you worked the front line of an ISP?
> most people have never even heard of FTP.  i almost spewed my orange
> juice all over my desk when i read that paragraph. :)

yep, and thanks to people like you, they will never hear about FTP.

you are helping to create a society of users who think that Netscape/Explorer
is the internet, with no concept of any of its other applications.

> unfortunately, i have accepted the fact that there is no stopping
> customers from emailing 10MB (and larger!) files, they can just go to
> our competition if we prevent it.

that would be my tactic, but then i'm my own boss, so i can make those
decisions.

i get the impression that you (or someone else on the "pro-ftp-by-email" side)
is "just and employee" and has to do as they are told.

well, have a bit of guts, and try to explain to management what the
implications (both current and local as well as future and far-reaching) of
such policies are.

when 100 customers leave because 1 customer hosed your mail server, then maybe
they will start listening to tachnical advice, as opposed to relying solely
on marketing advice.

--
[ Jim Mercer        [email protected]         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]