Re: EMAIL != FTP

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Sat May 26 02:20:34 2001

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 07:55:17AM -0400, M. David Leonard wrote:
> 	Sorry, can't resist replying here.  In my limited (7 years)
> experience, 99% of all large file transfers via e-mail consist of dancing
> babies, horny snowmen, clumsy reindeer/monkeys/people movie clips.

in my time, i have seen systems swamped by full disks, when disks were
expensive, and full disks when disks were cheap.

i've seen queues backing up because the bank of 1200 bps modems weren't
enough, and queues backed up because a series of 400Meg messages kept failing
halfway through delivery.

in the case of 1200 bps modems, the problem was with people trying to fetch
large (2meg) files via BITFTP-type email facilities.

in the case of 400Meg messages, it was single zip files purporting to contain
a full Windows NT distribution and applications.

--
[ Jim Mercer        [email protected]         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]