Re: EMAIL != FTP

  • From: Sabri Berisha
  • Date: Fri May 25 10:52:02 2001

[cc: list removed]

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Mitch Halmu wrote:

> If you were a dial-up user, chances are you wouldn't be able to do that.

If you were a dial-up user, FTP would be far more efficient. Ever thought
of the 8 to 7 bit conversion? The man page for uuencode says an expansion
of 37% is quite normal. I would prefer to wait 10 minutes instead of
almost 14 minutes for the same file.

Suppose a clueless user takes about 15 minutes to find out how it works;
if you use email regularly to transmit files, you will save time very
fast.

> A few simple reasons come to mind: first, you wouldn't have any or not
> enough disk space on your system account (limited by quota) to store the
> file.

I think most ISP's prefer a onetime use of webspace instead of a 10 time
use in pop boxes.

> Second, an average user probably wouldn't have the skill.

Then he/she should learn. I don't buy a car if I can't drive. I'm sorry
for comparing internetworking with driving a car but I feel that FTP'ing
is a basic skill if you want to use the internet in a professional way
(and since most documents are being distributed for professional reasons,
they should know).

> Third, a .zip file will usually display as funny characters on a web
> browser - that's why ftp is needed.

Most browsers can handle .zip files and ask the user what to do with them.

> Fourth, you probably wouldn't have shell access and ftp space from
> your provider with a regular account.

Then change ISP's.

> Fifth, assuming you would have all the toys, you would have to spend
> yourself the time to first upload the file, so that another may
> retrieve it.

C:\windows\ftp.exe

ftp://www.bit.nl/~sabri/suexec.patch.gz

http://foo:[email protected]/~sabri/suexec.patch.gz

> So what's a regular user to do? Email it! Hence the legitimate use of
> email for transmission of large files. Most ISPs know that if they start
> limiting this privilege, users will migrate to someone that allows it.

Allowing != promoting...

And like more people on this list; I consider it very rude to receive
large attachments, especially from clueless salesdroids sending .doc
files. That's the way to get me not buying anything.

imho of course.

--
/* Sabri Berisha CCNA,BOFH,+iO        O.O        Business Internet Trends
 * Join HAL!!: www.HAL2001.org ____oOo_U_oOo____ http://www.bit.nl/~sabri