Re: Splitting a block of Class C's

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Fri May 25 05:33:39 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Albert Meyer wrote:

> At 07:14 PM 5/24/01 -0700, Steve Gibbard wrote:
> >Are you big enough to get a portable IP address block from ARIN?  Since
> >you say you're dropping your Sprint connection in a few months, you will
> >presumably have to renumber then.  If you want to be really nice, you
> >could bite the bullet and do it now, turning over the old block to your
> >former customer.  Alternatively, it's common practice to tell your
> >customer that they have to renumber out of your space when they stop
> >buying connectivity from you, and from your perspective that's probably
> >the easiest way to handle the situation.
>
> I wish the timing had worked out that way, but they have to be gone by June
> 1, and I can't give up the Sprint IP's until July or August. The
> alternative to the ugly solution is to make them re-IP all of their
> domains, and AFAIK there is no easy way to do that. Last time I checked,
> NetSol makes you do each one individually.

Huh?  You mean they're not running their own DNS servers?  If they're not
running their own DNS servers but are doing hosting, they deserve what
they get.  If they are, they need to simply update their host object in
whois for their DNS servers.  (This may or may not work with "alternate
registries".)  Then, they can write a simple script to go through the zone
files they have and change the first three octets to the new address
space.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc