Re: "Big Red"

  • From: Scott Francis
  • Date: Fri May 25 04:01:46 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 04:20:59PM -0700, Tim Langdell, PhD exclaimed:

> Has anyone heard of "bigred.com"? A client has suddenly discovered that all
> of its browser queries that do not resolve (www.rubbishcharacters.com for
> e.g.) get diverted to the BigRed search engine web site. No one in the
> company is aware of having installed anything that could have intentionally
> have caused this effect for DNS failures. Anyone got any ideas what is going
> on here? Is it a known problem? Viral or otherwise?

One of my friends had the same problem on her PC at home. Found out that she
had installed some 'browser enhancement' software that made a considerable
number of well-hidden registry entries changing everything from her default
home page to her search engine results to ads displayed in the browser's title
bar (MSIE 5). Took quite a bit of digging about with regedit.exe to get rid of
the bugger.

--
Scott Francis                [email protected] [work:] v i r t u a l i s . c o m
Systems Analyst          [email protected] [home:] d a r k u n c l e . n e t