Re: Stealth Blocking

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Fri May 25 03:28:05 2001

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 06:27:50PM -0700, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> Is too... I send large documents regularly, via email. I just sent a
> 125 page word doc, with about 20 embedded Visio drawings and a bunch
> of embedded Excel spreadsheets. It was huge.

My condolences.

> Most of the recipients are on dialups with Win98. How else do you
> expect me to get it to them ... FTP? Most of them are NOT computer
> jocks.

https+auth with an interface designed to cater to the technologically
impaired, perhaps?

I can't speak for your clients, but if I were using a substandard
workstation OS with a local mail client, crawling along on dialup, I
certainly would not enjoy downloading large multi-megabyte mail
attachments.  More importantly, the high thresholds required on the
recipient's MTA in order to receive such mail do significantly weaken
their defenses against certain forms of abuse.

-adam