Re: Stealth Blocking

  • From: Mitch Halmu
  • Date: Thu May 24 19:34:05 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Jason Slagle wrote:

> Along those lines, let me get this straight.  You support someone
> compiling a list of spammers that you won't sell to, but you oppose
> someone compiling a list of people that I choose not to accept mail
> from.  That is quite interesting, and somewhat hypocritical.

Not at all. "People" is the key. The list in question is of servers
used by innocent people. The bad people are someone else's clients.
I don't feel that it's hypocritical to refuse service to an individual
that just cheated a fellow ISP, just like a bank will not issue an
unsecured loan or credit card to someone that cheated another bank.

The problem is, ISPs will not cooperate willingly to identify their
repeat offenders. Whatever legalities are involved could be sorted out
in the same fashion as credit reporting agencies are set up.

Hey, if MAPS is willing to change their business model by becoming
an agency that reports on the individual or company that author spam,
instead of squeezing providers for a deed performed by someone else's
client, I would be the first one to support the initiative.

--Mitch
NetSide