Re: Scanning (was Re: Stealth Blocking)

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Thu May 24 10:19:46 2001

20% of Internet bandwidth utilization is from scanning ...
                                        -- Another made up statistic.

;-)

The elephant is getting hurt by the blind men.

How do I differentiate a "white hat" scan from a "black hat" scan?

I don't mind people like Bill Manning who send out polite notification
before scanning my DNS but general network scanning is starting to get
excessive.

By my count the average random scans come at least 4 times a week.

What is the effect of scanning the whole operational address space
four times a week?