RE: Stealth Blocking

  • From: John A. Tamplin
  • Date: Thu May 24 04:12:41 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Mitch Halmu wrote:

> The type of cartel that was created here is against anti-trust laws in
> the US. That's what is commonly referred to as conspiracy to restrict trade.
> The legal aspects are well covered on http://www.dotcomeon.com Furthermore,
> MAPS doesn't really openly publish its lists. Why do you think that's so?
> Wouldn't it be nice, or at least fair for everyone to know who's listed?

And then those who are listed on ORBS complain that the list is being
used to suggest attacks on those open relays.  While MAPS may not have a
single list you can download, anyone is free to lookup any IP address and
see if it is listed, so it is definitely public.

> So now, how has my business bothered your business? It hasn't. I don't
> recall any complaints from your service. That means we at least manage
> and monitor our servers pretty effectively as configured, and we're not
> unrepentent spammers. But we dared to be different. Face it, it's really
> our philosophy that angers you.

Or perhaps because those who care to use MAPS didn't see any spam from your
servers in the first place...

I use RBL/RSS/DUL on my home email server.  I recognize that some
legitimate mail to me may get bounced (I periodically check the logs to
see what is getting rejected, which is about 1 legitimate mail every 2-3
months), but that is a price I am willing to pay to avoid spam.  Anyone
I really care to talk to knows other ways to contact me anyway.

My home email account gets about 1 spam per week, while my email address
at a previous employer (which does not use RBL/etc) gets about 150 spams
per day.  Both addresses are listed as whois contacts, both have posted
messages on public mailing lists, etc.  That is why I choose to block
sites listed there, and I suspect that is the reason most people choose
to use them.  It has nothing to do with your philosophy -- I had no idea
who you were or what your philosophy was until you started this thread.

Nobody forces anyone to use any of the MAPS lists.  At a previous
employer, we used MAPS RBL for a while until Netcom was blocked.  As we
were an ISP, many of our customers complained about this so we stopped
using RBL until we were able to offer the option to enable it
individually per account and allow each customer to configure their
filters.

John A. Tamplin					[email protected]
770/436-5387 HOME				4116 Manson Ave
770/431-9459 FAX		 		Smyrna, GA  30082-3723