RE: Stealth Blocking

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Thu May 24 00:44:16 2001

Actually, I simplified the process. I agree with you 100% here. I don't have
the time for such an investigation therefore I use MAPS RBL.

> > > 	Absolutely. Probe the machine that is of concern, not
> > > whole blocks randomly.
>
> > Also, only block the proven spam-host. No one else.
>
> 	That's a more complex judgment. In most cases, I agree
> that this is
> appropriate, but I can think of (and have personally
> witnessed) more extreme
> circumstances. I've seen ISPs who say, "no, we like to spam
> and we will spam
> in the future". In those extreme cases, I'll block their
> entire address
> space from reaching my mail servers until their policy changes.

Another reason to use MAPS RBL.

> > > 	No, its open-relay status is not irrelevant. If you
> > > know a site is an open
> > > relay, however you know this, and you want to block open
> > > relays (which I do)
> > > and it's my right to block open relays, then I will block
> > > them. How I find
> > > out they're an open relay is another story. The usual way is
> > > you probe a
> > > site when it becomes an actual problem.
>
> > I submit that if you have a piece of spam, from a site, and
> are blocking
> > them, why do you need to probe them?
>
> 	Well, if you're blocking them because they're an open
> relay and they say
> they've fixed the problem, it's certainly reasonable to probe
> them to decide
> whether you should begin allowing mail from them. Or do you think it's
> better to block them indefinitely just so that you don't 'trespass' by
> probing them?

I'm actually not advocating blocking all open relays. I am advocating
blocking all spammers, whether they have open relays or not. There are
actually open relays that a spammer can never use, because the open relay
site uses MAPS RBL. The are collateral damage, with ORBS. Show me how such a
site can be used by a MAPS RBL'd spammer. BTW, yet another reason to use
MAPS RBL.

> > > 	3) Do you think it's unreasonable to block known open
> > > relays as a
> > > protection against future spam.
>
> > Absolutely not. Our entire Norte Americano culture is biased
> > AGAINST apriori
> > restrictions.

The following is a real good example of why I don't like argument by
analogy. Your analogy is broken. Let's deal with the issue directly. We
actually seem to be on the same side here or not very far apart.