RE: Query: What policies do backbone providers use to determine IP ownership?

  • From: Tony Mumm
  • Date: Wed May 23 12:55:35 2001

I certainly agree with your statements that customers want to
multihome, and that we will have to accommodate them.  It is
quite reasonable, and we encourage it where high availability is
required.

I will also accept that renumbering can be a great amount of work
for a customer.   I think that amount of work, however, is quite
justified if the customer has received portable space from the
registrar.  I think the customer would be just as motivated to
get out of ISP provided IP space...just to be flexible the day
they decide to add/drop a provider.

On the technical front, with routers being what they are, I can
see that we are not in danger of hurting core routers with bloat.
Well, most of us anyway...I know of small shops that have had to
swap for more memory, etc as the table grew.  I can now say that
their method of multihoming is the whole reason they need to buy
a new router (just kidding).

Secondary to that however, is that if I don't know what's
happening with the customer, how can we set this up correctly.
If no BGP peering session exists for that customer, they will
announce their smaller block as the only path, until its
withdrawn and only the CIDR remains.  This is where I feel the
word hijacking applies.   We would work with them to set it up
correctly so an AS path for this smaller block is passed through
us as well as the other customer.

I guess it comes down to etiquette in the end.  If I whois the
block, and its non-portable space allocated to someone, I feel
they should know I'm going to announce it.  This may have
technical repercussions on their network that they may want to
know about.

Customer education about the policies of the ISP who allocates
the IP space certainly will help I think, however customers
(bless their soul) will often do what suits them best regardless
of policies.   Knowing the policy is probably the only way to
have reproach if a problem situation comes up.

The only check and balance in this whole process is the person
that is adding the route to their accept policies.   It seems a
small inconvenience to check with the owning provider, and a
great courtesy to both ISPs.

In the end, communication will not only benefit the ISP, but also
the customer in the form of better routing (and understanding).