RE: Stability of the Internet?

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Mon May 21 18:05:13 2001

Since INT is for intenational treaty organization, the use of INT internally
would create a collision. Thereby, masking the entire INT TLD from the
clueless org that did that. In past /ICANN/DNSO discussions it has been
suggested, that we reserve a LOCAL or PRIVATE TLD for internal use only. Let
me know what y'all think and which one y'all prefer. My personal preference
is for both (three tiered <Internet>/Local/Private). The next question is;
should this be an RFC?

> A better step would be to thoroughly endorse .private or
> similar, and have
> the distributed root.hints file point it back to the local
> nameserver, so
> such dns traffic does not end up on the cruel and heartless internet.

You gotta be careful here, to not point to a recursive server, for a
non-recursive reference.