Re: Stability of the Internet?

  • From: Patrick Greenwell
  • Date: Sat May 19 12:31:13 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Shawn McMahon wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 01:16:12PM -0700, Tim Langdell, PhD wrote:
> >
> > new roots? There are a host (sorry for pun) of ways of introducing new TLDs
> > without adding new roots. For instance the New.Net approach and the addition
>
> The New.Net approach doesn't add new TLDs.  It is an application solution,
> piggybacked on existing TLDs.

Incorrect. There are multiple ways in which to enable access, one of them
is with an application, the other method involves reconfiguration of DNS
servers/resolvers. When a registration happens, a user receives two
registrations: one in the TLD that they are registering under, and one
under TLD.new.net for compatibility with the legacy root system.

I'm choosing to stay out of the rest of this argument as it has been
beaten to death previously, but wanted to clear up technical
misstatements/misunderstandings.