RE: ARIN, and reservations?

  • From: Richard Jimmerson
  • Date: Thu May 17 12:24:23 2001

Hello Alex,

> For instance, we were assigned 64.21/17 about a year ago,
> with 64.21/16 reserved (we were told).

ARIN does not guarantee reservations.  We do our best to make
contiguous allocations, and often do, but sometimes it is not
possible.

ARIN receives one or two /8s at a time from the IANA and
keeps aggregation in mind when making allocations. However,
we also have to demonstrate 80 percent of that IP address
space has been allocated when requesting additional IP
address space from the IANA.

> PS: as an aside, as anyone else noticed ARIN continually,
> over the last year or so, making the allocations smaller
> and smaller? Our first allocation ever was a /17; now we
> get them in chunks of /19's.

It is ARIN's current policy to issue IP address space to
organizations based to their three month need.  ARIN staff
review requests and make allocations in accordance with
this policy.

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations