Re: Instant chats and central servers

  • From: Bill Nickless
  • Date: Wed May 16 12:52:40 2001

At 11:35 AM 5/8/2001 -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:
No central server appears to mean no instant messages, am I correct?
As currently implemented, probably so.

This is why I'm so interested in maintaining the Any Source Multicast model, in a way that doesn't require any given group to depend on an Internet-wide rendezvous point.

In other words, the network directly supports the persistent space (the multicast group) without a central server.

Hmm. Is flooding the only way to do the dissemination of information without doing it client/server?

===
Bill Nickless http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7 [email protected]