Re: People who purchase unproven technologies to support their Business, and whine about it. RE: To CAIS Engineers - WAKE UP AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS

  • From: Clayton Fiske
  • Date: Tue May 15 15:30:05 2001

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 10:18:30AM -0400, Wojtek Zlobicki wrote:

>     How many medium sized businesses (lets say under 50 or 100 people) do
> you know that are willing to or can afford colocation.  Many of these
> companies have only one server on prem.  For customers such as this, they
> not only need a way to host a small webpage (receiving a hit a day if they
> are lucky) but also need internet access.  It is customers like this for
> whom DSL is appropriate.  I should have been more clear on the case of the
> company needing internet access.  The problem with going with some of these
> fly buy night hosting operations is that some are using DSL themselves!

Fair enough. But the bottom line is this: If you're paying for the
cheapest connectivity that suits your basic needs, you're going to
get the cheapest. Expecting it to be as good as the more expensive
solutions is unrealistic.

>     I don't know much about the colocation market in the US.  But I do know
> that it is difficult to find a reasonable colocation facility here in Canada
> for under $500-1000 a month (I may be wrong here, I have not looked at
> colocation pricing in a while).

Well, it's a trade-off. If your website represents a significant revenue
source for your company, you can justify spending the money to put it
somewhere reliable. If you're only getting a couple of hits a day, it
probably doesn't matter all -that- much if you do lose your connectivity
for even several days.

-c