Re: To CAIS Engineers - WAKE UP AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS

  • From: Hunter Pine
  • Date: Mon May 14 23:11:27 2001

As I recall, ARIN doesn't let you change DNS authority information in blocks
larger than /24. They send the SWiP template back to you. The only way to
really give reverse authority for those is to use cname records in the
authoritve server's zone and point them to another in-addr zone for the /26
or /27 or whatever, then pull that smaller zone from the end-user's name
server.

My company knows how to do it, it's just that DSL customers don't give us
enough money to spend the time doing it. Typing out 32 cname records,
setting up a new zone, and then dealing with the end user when they can't
figure out how to set up a master record that allows us to pull the zones is
just way too time consuming for the limited profit margin of a DSL line.

Hunter Pine
Vice President, Network Operations
[email protected]
CompuHelp Technologies