RE: Dont Knock The Technology, was Re: People who purchase unproven technologies to support theirBusiness, and whine about it.

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Mon May 14 21:53:37 2001

The interesting thing, is that this has absolutely nothing to do with
Technology, good or bad. It has to do with products. xDSL is normally
considered a product for the home or small business. It is supported and
priced that way. For most providers, that includes small, static IP blocks,
assigned out of the providers own space, in a systematic fashion.

The "T-1" product is usually something quite different, even if it is
provided over an HDSL line. This product usually includes BGP support,
greater flexibility for using your own address space, and the chance to talk
to engineers with greater clue. There is usually a big price difference.

Why? DSL is a mass market product, and folks want to package it in a certain
way. T-1 is a business product, and you're paying for better service. It's
as simple as that. Don't fall all over the technical details in this case,
as this hinges on folks using a Home/SOHO product for mission critical
business stuff. You might save some money in the short run, but it's a poor
investment.

- Daniel Golding