Re: To CAIS Engineers - WAKE UP AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS

  • From: Hunter Pine
  • Date: Sun May 13 19:37:04 2001

Actually, ARIN mandates that any ISP MUST SWiP any block shorter than /28.
Perhaps they just don't want to take the time to change the reverse dns
servers in your SWiP templates, and/or they don't want to have to deal with
adding cname records for all of your ip's in their in-addr zones. I can't
even get INAP to give me direct control over my /20 because my blocks are a
part of their larger blocks, and it's too difficult for them (so they say)
to edit their bind servers.

It seems apparent that rdns is not an important issue to ISP's nowadays. To
be honest, it's not important to mine either. We won't give someone control
of their reverse dns. It's too time consuming and resource intensive to
handle for hundreds of clients. I think few people realize the limited
bottom line involved in running a DSL ISP. There isn't much room to spend 20
minutes setting up some guy's rdns zones when you're not even making a
profit off of his line. :)

We all want to keep clients happy, but there must be a limit.

Hunter Pine
Vice President, Network Operations
[email protected]