Re: Common language? [was re: black hat .cn networks]

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Thu May 10 12:27:07 2001

For whatever it's worth, the official language of aviation worldwide is English. It is a standard and a requirement in towers. Reality is that they most likely speak "aviation English" is remote airports. Just enough so pilots can understand where to put the plane and were not to. So a common language can be chosen.

My experience with the issue occured a few years back. Doing some work with a large Columbian conglomerate, they sent over they top admins for a meeting in the US. We had native speakers (from Cuba) who were also 20-25 year UNIX admin veterans. A funny thing happened... they could not speak common Spanish UNIX. Each group had local terms created for items as simply as Email. I found it very interesting that we basically had to go back to describing something like a car as "that thing we sit in with 4 wheels that takes us places...."

It was an eye opening experience. I do not believe having internationally recognized words such as Email, File system, Disk are bad. English is a bastard language with lots of foreign words. In Florida most Spanish speakers use SpanGlish which is a combination of Spanish with very useful English words thrown in. It works, and even English only speaks have a good idea of what the conversation is. (Yes, it's always about them!! :-) )

dd