Re: Instant chats and central servers

  • From: ken harris.
  • Date: Tue May 08 22:03:23 2001

This begs a question - does anyone have good experience with SSL-enabled
IRC servers? I'm testing UnrealIRCd right now, but I've run into some
showstopper bugs when trying to link servers over SSL. Any other
suggestions?
i've toyed around with nakenchat:
< http://nakenchat.naken.cc >

it's web based primarily, that way you don't need to explain
to some people how to use any irc client, and i toyed around
with some homemade hacks within it adding xor filters and the like.
i had to setup a chat arena where psychiatrists could communicate
with their patients, so you can imagine the security features that i evovled
into it and how locked down you can make it.

it serves it purpose properly, and has pretty much all the features
you'll find in an irc server. when i found a couple problems (buffer overflows etc),
the maintainer was quick to implement fixes and help out wherever needed.

enjoy.

-Chris
cheers.
-ken harris.