RE: Cisco DS3 performance specifications

  • From: David Sinn
  • Date: Tue May 08 19:14:19 2001

Any multiport cards on the GSR can have a port blocking problem if one
port is oversubscribed.  This is regardless of engine, or memory on that
card (though memory gives you more breathing room).

By default there are no queue limits for a given port on a multiport GSR
card.  So if you have a port that is in a consistent state of over
subscription, and thus packets are backing up in the local TX buffer,
that port can eat all of the memory and starve the other ports off.

It does not matter what processor is doing the switching (and
regardless, the processor *for the most part* does not touch any of the
traffic in the outbound direction anyways).  One should be cognizant
that E0's have around 400kpps of forwarding performance, E1 ~700, E2 up
to 4Mpps, and E4 up to 25Mpps, which is shared among the ports on the
card, so plan accordingly for the traffic patterns you are expecting to
se).

The most simple fix for this is to set a hard TX queue limit for each
port.  Thus any one port can only buffer x number of packets, and not
starve off the other ports (things can be less then optimal picking x
since there are at least four pools for a packet to sit in, and you
don't get to define a number for each, just a sum).  This also insures
you aren't holding packet too terribly long (TCP should be doing it's
job anyways...).

WRED is another manner, and it is arguable if it is any more intelligent
then setting a hard limit to WHAT packet gets dropped.  WRED requires
more configuration, and is a little more graceful since it will start
dropping sooner.  Hopefully this will make your traffic curve closer to
line rate then the saw-tooth you would expect to see with TX queue
limits.

David