Re: Instant chats and central servers

  • From: poptix
  • Date: Tue May 08 18:22:42 2001

   Honestly if your company/NOC/whatever is going
to use something like this to communicate, I would
recommend running your own server, I've worked on
financial institutions networks that actually used
AIM for communications (ie, JoeBob: Can you change
the PIN # on account XYZ to 1234 MarySue: Sure),
and used a hotmail address for their ACH! (Automatic
Checking withdrawl/deposit) it's insanely irresponsible
to use a third party messaging service for anything
that your customers information could pass through.

   FYI, there are ICQ servers you can run locally, but
not for AIM or MSN, I would suggest an IRC server.

			Matthew S. Hallacy

(if you're still in doubt, feel free to go read AOL
and MSN's ToS for their messaging services)