RE: ISP Filter Policies--Effect is what?

  • From: Murphy, Brennan
  • Date: Tue May 08 16:28:34 2001

>> Stephen, you neglected to look at the big picture.  The "organization"
has
>>the /16 but has sites spread out all over the planet and has assigned
>> /24's to them.  Additionally, they connect into the global net via
diverse
>> providers.

>Ah, I got -snip- happy there :) in that case I would question the logic of
>being given a large address block only to break it into pieces all over
>the world.

>I'd wonder why they dont take address space from a regional provider - if
>its only /24 it cant be that mission critical for bgp and multihoming...

The /16 was acquired way back when. Until now, its been used primarily
for internal addressing (ie, no NAT). But now the internet presence is
growing and the distributed nature of the sites plus the multiple providers
forces us to use /24s.

Making use of a regional provider's address space may be best for us in
Europe and Asia. The North American sites all have the same providers...
...so, we could advertise /24 to these providers and have them advertise
/16.  Then the regional providers could give us some Class C /24s and
our Distributed Director could match a particular user with the nearest
server farm. I think this is probably the best approach.