RE: Cable & Wireless "de-peering"?!?

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Sun May 06 02:31:34 2001

And now, to "drop the bomb"...

The other issue is that this isn't just C&W vs FNSI. The word on the
street is that C&W is engaged in a "Kamikazee Peering" strategy in
order to boost transit revenues. Rumor has it that other recipients
of the C&W nasty-gram include Level 3, Telia, NetRail, XO, and Verio.
There are certain to be others as well. I can't swear on a stack of
bibles that these folks have gotten the letter, but that's the story,
at least. If true, then we are talking about a reasonable chunk of
the commodity Internet.

It's unusual to "name names" in the peering game, but this is an
intolerable and almost unpresidented situation, as some or all of the
networks listed above are transit-free. And, contrary to Randy's
comments, this is certainly enough of the Internet to cause
disruption.

We must ask:

1) Is this the end of peering as we know it? Is it settlement time
all around?

2) Is C&W simply flaking out? Will they end up screwing themselves?

3) Will we stand up to the bully on the playground?

4) Is this a crisis effecting global reachability?

#1 is doubtful - the only current condition that could really cause
this is the collapse of multiple transit-free carriers due to current
market conditions. It would take more than a PSINet implosion to
cause this, I'm guessing.

#2 - C&W's peering decision makers are certainly taking a risk, here.
It is devoutly hoped that their poor judgement comes back to haunt
them. On the other hand, perhaps they'll experience a change of
heart, and be filled with the spirit of Internet Brotherhood.
Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath.

#3 - Well, I doubt it. At least one ISP has already crumbled and
agreed to a settlement with C&W.

#4 - Yep. C&W's actions and the resulting disruptions in service that
we'll see because of them, over the next 30 days, mark a new chapter
in peering disputes. Should be interesting to see how it all pans
out.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled off-topic threads concerning
telcom legislation and blackholing China...

- - Daniel L. Golding		(Speaking only for me)