Re: HR 1542

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Sat May 05 22:29:08 2001

At 05:42 PM 5/5/01, Charles Sprickman wrote:

Adelphia is not a regulated public utility, that's the difference.
Though a different cable company, a letter I received from ATT Broadband's legal counsel might be of interest. I've been charged some 17 cents in various taxes on top of my $49.95/month cable modem bill (I don't subscribe to cable TV, just the data service). So I sent a letter asking why my Internet service is taxed, where the State of Massachusetts does not impose a sales tax on services, and where I thought the cable modem business was outside regulation.

The response letter I received indicated that the cable modem business, like EVERYTHING else in the cable business WAS INDEED regulated by the state and local governments. I'm keeping a copy of this letter to use when next ATT claims the local cable commission has no control over the cable modems (next license renewal, I intend to push for open access).

I'll post a PDF of this letter on the web somewhere if anyone is interested.

Dan
Daniel Senie [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com