HR 1542

  • From: Joseph T. Klein
  • Date: Sat May 05 15:25:10 2001

The ads on TV prompted me to look at this.

In Section 4 ...

`(1) IN GENERAL- Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (c) and (d), the Commission shall not require an incumbent local exchange carrier to--

`(A) provide unbundled access to any network elements used in the provision of any high speed data service, other than those network elements described in section 51.319 of the Commission's regulations (47 C.F.R. 51.319), as in effect on January 1, 1999; or

`(B) offer for resale at wholesale rates any high speed data service.

`(2) AUTHORITY TO REDUCE ELEMENTS SUBJECT TO REQUIREMENT- Paragraph (1)(A) shall not prohibit the Commission from modifying the regulation referred to in that paragraph to reduce the number of network elements subject to the unbundling requirement, or to forbear from enforcing any portion of that regulation in accordance with the Commission's authority under section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, notwithstanding any limitation on that authority in section 10 of this Act.'.

Hmmm .... I don't think this improves competition.
--
Joseph T. Klein +1 414 915 7489
Senior Network Engineer [email protected]

"... the true value of the Internet is its connectedness ..."
-- John W. Stewart III