RE: terminal server recommendation

  • From: Martin, Christian
  • Date: Tue May 01 23:59:54 2001

Charles,

Agreed on some of your points - The ssh issue would be the biggest problem,
however we separate the term servers on a private, out-of-band network, so
we haven't been particularly concerned with telnet snooping, especially
considering the ssh code on Cisco still only has limited platform support.
Something to bring up with our security team nonetheless.  We haven't sen
the amphenols dislodge, and we have hundreds of these babies, so that is
weird.  Maybe a lot of them are dropped downward - haven't inspected them
all.

As far as configs, we can manually copy them via FTP, but as I said, we only
use them for Tservers, so nothing to fancy with PPP, etc.  We do use RADIUS,
which hasn't been a big issue.  I think the primary reason we use them is
high port density and our original network engineers had extensive
experience with them, so they've stuck around.  How many large NSPs have
whole racks of 2511s in the field (I think a lot).

The setup and recovery totally sucks.  I remember the first time I reloaded
one. It prompted for the boot file and I put the config filename in by
mistake.  Whoops, tserver is dead, have to dispatch with a
wacky-pinout-having console cable and rebuild.

*sigh*

We are replacing them with 3660's, unless someone has a better
recommendation (The primary reason being TACACS+ support).

chris