Re: Canada - Land of ice and snow (was RE: California power ...unplugged)

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Apr 30 00:42:40 2001

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 08:25:49PM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:

> I recall 3.2 million people losing power, some for over a month, a few
> years ago in Canada.  Canadians were importing and stealing backup
> generators from the states so fast, Customs Canada still doesn't know
> how many generators crossed the border.
>
> http://members.aol.com/badice98/icestormDiary/icestormtext.html

Having been caught in an ice storm in Maryland which killed the power for
several days, I have to say they suck. Besides, you can't fault Canada for
having worse weather then California.

Canada does manage to get a lot of things right, the theory I heard from a
canadian friend was that they wait for the US to try something out then
find out where they screwed it up. But as for datacenters, I have also
heard the theory that canadian customs inspects every packet crossing the
border, and that one I tend to believe. :P