Re: Cooler servers for the Internet

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Apr 23 12:02:15 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:39:01 PDT, Sean Donelan <[email protected]>  said:

> I'm not very interested in who really has the coolest, most efficient
> computers.  I am interested in getting accurate information for planning
> purposes.  If this leads to computer vendors publishing more accurate
> information, great.  I'm afraid instead, the pendulum will swing the
> other direction and vendors will begin understating their true power
> requirements.

I don't have numbers handy for the IBM boxes, but note that the p680
can go 6 to 24 CPU, and from 4G to 96G of RAM.  Hardly a case where
one number will fit all.  IBM at least *used* to provide power info
on a per-component basis, but you had to get the 'Site Planning and
Preparation' manual for the system in question.  I also know that SGI
has information on amperage considerations for their O2K,  Onyx and Onyx2
rack-mount servers, where you *can* get into the situation where you
have open slots, but be unable to put a high-draw card in because
the power supply for the cage isn't rated for it.

The only way to get "more accurate" info is to line-item each component
and add up the numbers for *your* configuration.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst