Re: Cooler servers for the Internet

  • From: Kevin Facinelli
  • Date: Mon Apr 23 11:36:58 2001

David,

Many times early in the development process hardware
options are being evaluated prior to purchase....The
need for accurate power information extends beyond
system deployment, it starts during systems
specification.  I have come across many situations
where companies were not making consideration for
power available by their power supply.  The thought
was it has the slots so stick the extra cards in (very
prevent).

If a system is over loading a power supply it is very
likely to have premature failure along with potential
to damage to system components.

I do like your idea of average power requirement
metering using simple test equipment when possible.

Kevin

Kevin Facinelli
Director of Operations
Crystal Group Inc
www.crystalpc.com
319-378-1636 x227

--- David Lesher <[email protected]> wrote:

> Unnamed Administration sources reported that Sean
> Donelan said:
> >

> > Of course, these numbers are pretty bogus.  Most
> computer manufacture
> > specification sheets are useless for accurately
> forecasting the power
> > consumption of the equipment.  I suspect, after
> Sun's PR people realize
> > they are getting beat up, they will go back and
> better calculate the power
> > consumption figures for their servers.
> >
> > I'm not very interested in who really has the
> coolest, most efficient
> > computers.  I am interested in getting accurate
> information for planning
> > purposes.  If this leads to computer vendors
> publishing more accurate
> > information, great.  I'm afraid instead, the
> pendulum will swing the
> > other direction and vendors will begin
> understating their true power
> > requirements.
>
> The best test I can come up with at the drop of a
> hat:
>
> 	Plug server into std. watt-hour meter.
>
> 	Run benchmark X, Y and/or Z for one hour.
>
> 	Note KWH's consumed.
>
> This is so trivial a software house could do it if
> they
> had an electrician buy the meter and wire it up with
> plugs.
>
> It will tell you true KWH's, as that's what they
> measure. The
> meters are highly tracable back to NIST/etc
> standards [1] and
> they are cheap.
>
> Radical idea: why not call The Donelan Test, and
> demand it from
> your vendors?
>
> 1] Want stds that have been beaten on? Use those
> proven by products
> with lots of money changing hands.
>
> --
> A host is a host from coast to