Interpreting trace and ping

  • From: Nguyen, Tran
  • Date: Sun Apr 22 10:08:47 2001

Hello,

Please point me to some info about interpreting the outputs for the
traceroute and ping commands. More specifically
with regards to the flags in the Unix commands and Cisco's extended
commands. I have read the man pages and
scourged cisco's website. In essence, I would like to know how people have
used them, i.e., what one would expect to
see under certain circumstances. For example, how rate-limit might affect
the output, why certain bit patterns are useful
in troubleshooting certain links. Basically I would like a more granular
understand in the use of the commands other than
the usual reachability and path info. Sourcing, packet size, no name-lookup,
DF bit , etc, etc, are items everyone is familiar
with. Please advise.

thanks