Re: What does 95th %tile mean?

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Thu Apr 19 17:08:31 2001

[ On Thursday, April 19, 2001 at 16:07:37 (-0400), Martin Hannigan wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: What does 95th %tile mean?
>
> Isn't in+out a more fair representation of usage? I've always assumed that
> this was the standard to be honest. Thank god I'm not the billing person.
> I think Exodus does in+out.

Either (in+out) or MAX(in,out) should be an equally fair measure of
usage, at least from the customer's perspective.  The difference is in
the pricing, and if both the customers and the vendors are not equally
aware of the particular computation used by each other then it's
impossible to know what's competetive and what's a rip-off (accidental
or otherwise).

That's true of any form of usage-based billing too -- i.e. for either
bulk throughput pricing (octets per period), or Nth percentile pricing.

Some ISPs have un-balanced in/out loads though and those that do can
usually afford to sell whichever they've got in surplus at a lower
price.  A wise ISP might attract more wise customers by offering
separate pricing strucutres for in and out traffic, or they might offer
"free" services in whichever direction they can (eg. a primarily
access-only provider offering to host mailing lists, FTP archives, etc.;
or hosting providers offering to provide access POPs for charity groups,
etc.).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>     <[email protected]>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>;   Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>