Re: Virus in attachment

  • From: William F. Maton
  • Date: Wed Apr 18 12:37:34 2001

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Jon Mansey wrote:

> At the risk of a 'me too" posting, I got it too...
>
>    Attachment New_Napster_Site.DOC.scr was Quarantined for the following
> reasons:
>      Virus UNAUTHORIZED FILE was found.
>
> Seems like a different one each time. Is this a new way to disguise viruses?

I've been noticing an increasing number of spams coming in as infected
with viruses.

I wonder if this is:

1) Accidental, in that their spam mail got unwittingly infected on the
spam-originating host
2) deliberate, in an attempt infect spam victoms
3) delibertate on the part of some mischevious hacker, as an attempt to
flag spammers by infecting them with email viruses, hoping to ruin them
and their spamming exercises by letting victoms' servers bounce back spam
through some anti-virus software they installed.

Hmmm....anti-virus software as a tool against spam.  Who woulda thought?

> jm
>

> At 11:56 AM -0400 4/18/01, [email protected] wrote:
> >I have received 1 with the me_naked.avi.pif
> >
> >It went into the trash bin
> >
> >Scott

wfms