"Cisco MPLS-based VPNs" & BGP Stability

  • From: Danny McPherson
  • Date: Tue Apr 17 13:32:50 2001

I thought this might be of interest to folks here, it looks
strikingly similar to draft-behringer-mpls-security-00.txt,
which has uni-directionally discussed on the IETF's PPVPN
mailing list a while back.

I think a more pragmatic approach could have actually been
useful, however, this would likely require a non-commissioned
perspective.  IMO, things like "Hiding the Service Provider
Core Network" aren't very practical.

I'd also like to get feedback on how folks see things like
MPLS/BGP VPNs impacting Internet route table stability and
convergence.  After all, simply because it's not necessarily
envisioned (by some) to be deployed inter-domain, it does
make heavy use of BGP, which clearly impacts unicast stuff as
well.

-danny