Re: Outage notifications

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Apr 14 23:39:59 2001

On Fri, 13 April 2001, Paul Timmins wrote:
> Beyond getting on every single ISP's customer notification lists, is
> there  a list that is dedicated to network outages? Or a website?
> It would be really helpful in my day job :-)

Your network provider should keep you informed about all network outages
affecting their network, and keep you updated about any issues affected
any of their peers or upstream networks.  Some providers do a better job
than others.  If you provider doesn't do a good job, you should consider
taking your business elsewhere.  There is nothing posted on public mailing
lists or reported on the wireservices your own provider couldn't tell you
if they chose to.

Different providers have very different cultures regarding informing
customers.  Everyone has problems, how they deal with the problems
varies between providers.

Historically, I've found these providers consistently have the best
customer notification processes, year after year.  This has nothing
to do with how many problems a provider has.  A provider may only have
a single problem a year.
   1. Genuity
   2. AT&T
   3. Ameritech (the NAP not the rest of AADS)

Most providers fall in the middle ground.  After a big problem, they
get on the customer service train for a few months.  But tend to fall
back into their former habits.

But like the Grammy's if you divide up the market enough ways, everyone
can be number 1 in some catagory.

Multi-homed tier-2 providers: Savvis
Former baby bell providers: Pacific Bell Internet
Web hosting/limited backbone providers: Abovenet
Dialup access providers: Mindspring/Earthlink
International exchange points in London: LINX