RE: gigabit router (was Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20)

  • From: Kavi, Prabhu
  • Date: Thu Apr 12 12:22:59 2001

Craig did a great job describing the problem and one valid approach to
solving it.  There are other valid approaches as well.

Creating modern packet forwarding devices is based upon learning
what did not work well in previous incarnations (such as how to
synchronize these forwarding tables) and elmininating the problems
(Too little bandwidth in the control plane?  Add bandwidth)
in the next version.  Many vendors learned about the synchronized
forwarding table problem years ago, either with experience on their
own routers, or by getting talent from places (like BBN) that
previously dealt with this.  And any recent system architecture created
by competent engineers should not have this problem.

Prabhu