Re: solar flares effecting anyone else?

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Thu Apr 12 00:28:36 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 12:07:01AM -0400, John Todd wrote:
> At 4:45 PM -0400 4/11/01, Jim Mercer wrote:
> >i've got an E1 circuit that goes:
> >
> >Toronto -> Amsterdam (fiber)
> >Amsterdam -> Islamabad (satelite)
> >Islamabad -> Karachi (fiber)
> >
> >for the last couple days, my router has been seeing an abnormally high number
> >of "carrier transitions".
>
> Were you asking about satellite or terrestrial issues?  It's very
> difficult to determine from your comments if you think that this is a
> satellite or "other" issue (I'll assume you know it's not the fiber.)

my apologies, i should havc pointed at the satelite link.

however, i have heard of solar flares being respnsible for various
communications and electrical interference.

i used to manage a circuit to the canadian arctic, which was (as i was told)
sensitive to "sun spots".

there was also an incident where quebec hydro had some serious failure that
was blamed on solar activity.

> But none of this matters, since we all know that the Internet was
> designed to be hit by nuuuucleahr bombs and keep on workin', right?
> What's a few billion trillion electrons to the Internet?

actually, the link is still "workin'", however, due to routing flaps every
5 minutes or so, the customer has a different opinion on "workin'".

considering this started happening in the last couple days, without any
configuration or hardware changes, i was looking for explanations.

BTW: the circuit provider has found an abnormal number of CRC errors, and
is going to run some end-to-end tests when we can coordinate a time.

--
[ Jim Mercer          [email protected] ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]