[no subject]

  • From: alex
  • Date: Wed Apr 11 20:31:29 2001

> You misunderstand.  Getting multiple forwarding tables synchronized
> on one box IS simple, if the architecture considered it from the start.

Do the words "backward compatibility" sound familiar to you? How many times
would architecture "sort of" change? How many times would the features that
should be implemented on the new architecture end up being "sort of"
backported to the older architectures? How many real problems would that
cause?

> Trying to bolt it on later can cause problems, however.  These
> problems are an implementation issue on a particular platform.

No, if the approach creates an environment where those who attempt to
implement it periodically fall into traps and break things, it is the
problem with the approach.

> As a counterpoint to what you say, consider that all commonly
> deployed routers that can handle OC-192 rates do NOT have a
> single centralized forwarding engine.

Remember, we started taking about routing decisions, not forwarding
decisions. If you look at the 2nd message that I sent, I actually pointed to
someone that routing table is not a forwarding table, and a routing view is
not a forwarding table either.

Now back to the questions:

There are no currently deployed routers that can hanfle OC-192 rates. They
do not exist. Played with the one that was supposed to do it the other day.
It was of a pretty blueish color. Crashed it with traffic... OOops.

> Or do you know something about KISS that was not apparent to
> those who designed these working products?

It looks like those who designed those working products have some issues
with the KISS principle...

Thanks,
Alex