Re: gigabit router (was Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20)

  • From: Bora Akyol
  • Date: Wed Apr 11 01:32:49 2001

If your packets are memory mapped and you are using DMA, you don't
necessarily need to copy each packet into the main memory in an out, you can
look at the headers then ship the packet out. For lookups, one can use a
ternary CAM where you get 1 lookup per each memory access.

Nevertheless, there are much better alternatives to building a fast switch
or a router then using a general purpose CPU.

At the low end of the spectrum, quite a few companies supply network
processors with advanced lookup capabilities and at the high end, one can
always use ASICs, or FPGAs combined with CAMs.

Bora