Re: Getting a "portable" /19 or /20

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Apr 11 00:31:51 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:27:37 PDT, Roeland Meyer said:
> I actually saw a Linux box capable of doing this. It was on IBM S/390
> hardware. Admitedly, that would be a waste of horsepower. OC-192 is far to
> slow to keep that box busy.

OK.. so we look here:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/networking/news.html

and see:

"Clustered z900 can deliver up to 96 GIGABYTES per second (786 gigabits
per second) of networking bandwidth to help you tackle your transaction
traffic explosion. This is equivalent to the bandwidth of 9,600 ten
megabyte per second ESCON networking device attachments."

However....

A FICON interface is 70MBytes/sec. A new z/Series 900 comes with 96 of them, and
you can cluster a bunch of 900s (though I dont know if Linux supports the clustering).

However, I poked on IBM's web site, and found this:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/networking/linux.html

Fastest I see listed there is gigabit - and even *that* has a problem, in that
it's 125 MBytes/second if you sustain it - over-running a FICON.

Looks to me like 96 gigabytes/second is a cluster of 16 z-900's, each with
96 gigabits running at 50% capacity....

I don't see where IBM has a S/390 box that can drive 2 OC-192s at line speed.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech