Re: BGP Economics ?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Mon Apr 09 05:07:16 2001

At 09:08 08/04/01 +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:

So, if there is a belief that BGP table growth has slowed down in the first three months of this year due to social pressure, I do not support such a view even though the AS1221 data appears to indicate this. Its just local issues. The AS286 view supports the view that the underlying growth drivers are as strong as ever and the various efforts of nag mail of network operators has been largely (and predictably) ineffectual.
I decided to track how well my emails are doing. I have contacted about 25 ASNs so far based on Tony's report over ther past 3 months:

AS Nets then Nets now Net gain/loss
AS1221 1652 1594 -58
AS701 1581 1469 -112
AS11371 324 74 -250
AS4151 277 242 -35
AS3549 432 149 -283
AS271 280 73 -207
AS7545 196 138 -58
AS9269 162 113 -49
AS8006 146 19 -127
AS6429 218 212 -6
AS6595 163 163 0
AS13999 109 87 -22
AS4293 384 372 -12
AS8013 330 565 +235
AS4755 213 204 -9
AS1942 136 55 -81
AS1727 176 14 -162
AS9498 87 80 -7
AS6499 170 39 -131
AS5106 101 101 0
AS11170 64 28 -36
AS16758 63 63 0
AS3464 153 123 -30
AS3749 120 121 +1
AS6413 67 67 0

Withdrawn nets: 1675, added nets: 236, net reduction: 1409 nets. Now I guess some of these would have reduced their routing announcements in any event. Is this a scientific study? No. Does it show that perhaps the routing table growth can be flattened via contacting ASN admins? I believe the answer is yes.

-Hank

PS I have contacted AS8013 (PSA Canada) on March 6 ([email protected], [email protected]). No response and only a large growth over the past month. If anyone has better contact info than what is listed in ARIN and RADB, please feel free to let me know.