Invite WHO?

  • From: David Lesher
  • Date: Fri Apr 06 20:31:18 2001

This is OT, perhaps way OT, but maybe not....

I'm back from ISPCON in B'more, and while it had the usual show
swag, etc, there was one highly useful tract. The Regulatory track
has participation from multiple FCC staffers from all across the
agency; Regulatory, Common Carrier, Wireless, and others.

Associates found it highly worthwhile.

a) It was possible because it was local. Let me explain something
that those of you with no USG experience may just not grok.

It's REALLY hard to get travel money.  All kinds of justifications
for hotels are needed. Congress looks askew at anyone (err anyone
ELSE, as their junkets are always work related...) going anywhere on
Uncle Sam's nickel.

But local mileage is easy. Overnight? Ferrget it.

b) Like it or not, more & more of "the Internet business" is in
the FCC's eyesight. That's NOT to say they now regulate this, that
or the other - or that they can solve the Northpoint/TW/ whatever.
But they are learning lots. And the HillCritters often call to ask
them questions.

It's to your benefit for them to know your side.

Dave Farber just spent a year there as Chief Technologist. He was
the first NetHead in that role, a traditional Bellboy slot. I
think you'll find he thinks it time in his life well-spent.

So my points:

	If organizing a symposium of any sort in the DC region;
	look into both having FCC (& other agency) panels, and
	inviting staffers.

	Participate in the process. There's more to our (abiet
	flawed) democracy than creating hanging chad on that
	Tuesday in Nov. You'd be surprised how much effect
	ONE person/ISP can have....

We now return to Sean's Favorite Fiber FUBAR's, already in progress.

--
A host is a host from coast to [email protected]