Re: Carrier reliability and diversity

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Thu Apr 05 19:00:24 2001

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 03:39:10PM -0700, Sean Donelan wrote:

> The air line reservation system Galileo had significant problems
> earlier.
>
> Excerpt from Reuters:
>  "The outage began about 8:30 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time on Wednesday
>  and lasted until 10:55 a.m. MDT on Thursday, said Beth Tennis, vice
>  present of enterprise networks for Quantitude, Galileo's Denver-based
>  networking subsidiary. It affected three of the four T-1 high-speed
>  data transmission lines supplied to Galileo by AT&T Corp., said
>  Beth Tennis"

4 T1's were down in Denver? Stop the world, I want off. :P

You missed the bigger story about the AOL Instant Messanger outtage for a
large portion of the day (which I heard lots about from all my AIM loving
friends). Doubtless many thousands of network engineers were cut off from
their vital lines of communication.

> Although I've found AT&T has the highest reliability of all the carriers
> I've used.  Redundant links from the same carrier frequently have a

Personally I've found AT&T to be a packet motel, packets go in but they
don't come out... To each their own...