Re: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

  • From: Jesper Skriver
  • Date: Wed Apr 04 11:12:40 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 07:51:41PM -0400, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> At 18:35 03/04/01, Jesper Skriver wrote:
>
> >Don't know how the world looks like in the US, but here a SDH/Sonet
> >provider will never guarentee diversity of his/her circuit to that
> >of a different provider,
>
>         Interesting, though they do guarantee that to NATO
> circuits.

The company I work for, can and do provide diverse circuits, but they
won't guarentee diversity between that and one of a different provider,
the reasoning behind this is, that one cannot know if/when the other
provider reroute their circuit, so that there is no diversity any more.

> smd, are you able to get diverse local paths over there ?
>
> >often the end user can be almost sure that at least
> >the last few km will be in the same duct, as the local communities
> >demand that the providers cooperation when digging fiber into the
> >ground...
>
>         Obviously there is a concern if everyone is in the same
> duct, but if one builds with rings like sensible engineers,

SDH/Sonet protection removes quite a bit of the problem yes, but often
it's usefull to get 2 circuits with diverse routing (and without
protection) instead of a single with protection, and the price is
usually in the same order for both.

We always get multiple circuits with diverse routing instead of a single
circuit with protection if we can.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)