Re: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

  • From: Travis Pugh
  • Date: Wed Apr 04 07:57:41 2001

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Jesper Skriver wrote:

> Don't know how the world looks like in the US, but here a SDH/Sonet
> provider will never guarentee diversity of his/her circuit to that of a
> different provider, often the end user can be almost sure that at least
> the last few km will be in the same duct, as the local communities
> demand that the providers cooperation when digging fiber into the
> ground...

Hi Jesper.  Delivery to a different provider is a little less clear, at
least in Boston, but if you buy a "type 1" circuit directly from the
provider, and your building is set up with two fiber entrances, you
can actually get a real diverse circuit.  Verizon even has a diversity
option on their tariff, although there's some doubt as to whether or not
they bother to make sure it is really diverse.

I'd have to go ask the provisioning department about inter-provider
diversity, but I would imagine tortured screams would be the standard
reply.

Of course, the caveat is that you never believe a provider when they tell
you that you have working / protect on a diverse path, since the first
fiber cut invariably points out some problem with the circuit engineering.

-travis