Provider change (was RE: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 21:10:41 2001

I'm sure the telesales people are making those phone calls as
this thread goes on.

The FDIC has this down to a science with banks.  The bank closes
on Friday evening, the FDIC swoops in, and by Monday all the accounts
are moved to a new bank.  FEDWIRE reroutes all the traffic to the
new service provider, and the checks "in-float" don't even bounce.

Besides the potential route table explosion as the network is
deagregated, another problem is how do you verify who has what
authority to change which circuit id, ip address, etc.  Does
everyone just start grabbing address blocks, do providers include
the CIDR block as a line item on the invoice.