RE: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

  • From: RJ Atkinson
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 18:00:47 2001

At 14:55 03/04/01, Roeland Meyer wrote:
> The case I thought was under discussion is when an ISP
>dumps something on the order of 10^3 or more customers when they fail. I understand that NorthPoint abandoned  ~100,000 customers
>when they sold their backbone to AT&T and AT&T didn't
>pick up the subscribers.

        Northpoint was an access provider, not really an ISP.
Folks using Northpoint had someone else as their ISP.  I tried
last year to use Northpoint as an ISP and they said, sorry,
we aren't an ISP, here is our list of ISP partners, pick one.
If customers had a 2nd access circuit from a different access
provider to a different POP with the same ISP, they would be fine
(as my friend has been in just this situation) even when
Northpoint turned off the DSL access line.

        What AT&T bought wasn't so much a backbone as a whole
lot of DSLAMs that are pre-located inside RBOC facilities
and pre-interconnected with the RBOC facilities.  AT&T
already had at least 2 backbones (one obtained from TCG/CERFnet
and one from WorldNet), hence didn't need another.

        Quod Est Demonstratum.

Ran