RE: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 14:56:19 2001

Sorry, I thought we were discussing all multi-homing. Your example doesn't
help the business whose ISP suffers a business failure (such as DSLnetworks,
Flashpoint, et al), only the case where the access provider fails SLA.

To put it bluntly, a single circuit, to a single business, while annoying,
doesn't cause wide-spread outages when it fails. It is thus, the
lesser-order case. The case I thought was under discussion is when an ISP
dumps something on the order of 10^3 or more customers when they fail. I
understand that NorthPoint abandoned
~100,000 customers when they sold their backbone to AT&T and AT&T didn't
pick up the subscribers. I will wager that many of them were /24s.
DSLnetworks had over 700 Covad customers, FlashPoint was larger. For various
definitions of "wide-spread", this is a much larger issue than a broken
copper-pair. I suspect that it also has a much higher likelyhood of
occurance. Especially, in the current business shakeout.

Guess what ... it won't stop. This sort of problem will be with us forever.
We should find a solution ... someday ... ya think?

Business failures are on one side of the problem and CIDR aggregation is on
the other.