RE: Faster 'Net growth rate raises fears about routers

  • From: Barrows, Jeff
  • Date: Tue Apr 03 11:40:32 2001

  It is perhaps useful to note that there is at least one
  network out there with over 210,000 network entries in
  their tables today-- with multiple routers in that same AS
  having well over 100 BGP sessions on them-- comprised of
  around ~25% iBGP/eiBGP sessions in peer groups, and the
  remainder being eBGP sessions.  These boxes push a lot
  of traffic, deal with a large/flat IGP, do IP filtering,
  and a variety of other random services.

  That same network had ~182,000 network entries in their
  tables in October of 2000.

  This could be reduced, and the rate of growth slowed, if
  necessary, but there apparently hasn't been a compelling
  enough reason for them to do so yet-- which doesn't
  necessarily indicate anything beyond the fact that there
  hasn't been enough pain in that area for them to change
  anything yet.

  Not to say that great pain isn't on the horizon.

 - jsb

  I don't doubt that this will continue to be a topic
  that is over-sensationalized, as is done here:

   http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0402routing.html

  Which includes this tasty quote:

    "By the time the table gets to around 200,000 entries,
     we may be pushing a default-free router well beyond
     its processing capability."

  ...and this one:

    "Half of the companies that are multihomed should have
     gotten better service from their providers" [...] "ISPs
     haven't done a good enough job explaining to their
     customers that they don't need to multihome."